At Quorn, we believe that great tasting food should be nutritious and tasty as well as being stored and prepared safely. When it’s been a hard day, and you’re not in the mood for cooking, sometimes you make sacrifices in quality. But it really doesn’t have to be that way.
At Quorn, our extensive range of products have been designed specifically with the customer in mind. Products like our cook-from-scratch Meatless & Soy Free Grounds and Meatless and Soy Free Chik’n Cutlets provide home cooks with a wide range of options when it comes to preparing meals. So whether you’re making a quick snack, cooking a straight-to-pan meal, or heating up yesterday's leftovers, with quorn, you’re guaranteed quality whatever you’re eating.
So, to help keep the very best quality when it comes to your Quorn products – whether they’re frozen or leftovers - we’ve prepared a short checklist for safe storage.
Five Tips for safe storage
- Refrigerating leftovers – It is recommended by the FDA that food is stored in the fridge within two hours once cooked. This reduces to just one hour if the room temperature is above 90° F. This should not affect your appliance but will help keep your Quorn leftovers at their best. Make sure you don’t pack your fridge too tightly either as the air needs to circulate.
- Freezing leftovers– If you are cooking frozen Quorn products, you should not refreeze it again after cooking. Just pop it into an air-tight container in the fridge and it will be fine for up to three days. Quorn products that weren’t frozen when purchased can be stored in the freezer after cooking.
- Keep your appliances at the correct temperatures – Keep the fridge below 40° F and the freezer at 0° F. Just give them a quick check every now and again – appliance thermometers are cheap enough and handy to keep your eye on your appliances.
- Check storage directions on labels – All of our Quorn products are slightly different in terms of the way they should be stored for the best results, so make sure you read the instructions on the labels. Most of our frozen products are good for three days once cooked. They can stay in the freezer for up to three months.
- Do the basics – Wash your hands and clean surfaces. Cook to a safe temperature and enjoy the Meatless & Soy Free goodness.
- Clean regularly and wipe spills immediately – this helps reduce the growth of Listeria bacteria and prevents it from spreading from one food to another. Clean the fridge out frequently.
- Keep foods covered – Cover your Quorn foods or keep them in a sealed storage bag. Check for spoilage before eating.
- Check expiry dates – The "best before" date means we recommend it’s used by that date for the best taste and nutrition. The date isn’t a food safety date, so double-check how it looks, feels and smells.
- Quorn will still be a hearty meal – If your Quorn products are in the freezer for three months or less, it will still have its tenderness, flavour, aroma, juiciness, and colour. Be sure to follow cooking instructions on the packaging and store any leftovers in an airtight container, placed in the fridge within two hours of cooking.
- Freezing barely reduces nutrients – There will be little change in a Quorn’s high protein value* during freezing.
- You still need to check regularly – We recommend checking the temperature once a week.
For more information about Quorn’s range of products, be sure to visit our products page today, on your local market’s Quorn website (www.quorn.us)
*Quorn Meat Free products are a nutritionally healthy protein source. Protein contributes to the growth in and maintenance of muscle mass.